Some Washington County kids are facing some pretty big barriers to success. Poverty, poor academic skills, and food insecurity create conditions that make it difficult to succeed in school and in society.
The good news is that kids are resilient and can overcome even the most adverse circumstances – with just a little help. Washington County Kids seeks to create a sustainable source of funding to increase early childhood care, improve academic skills and job readiness, and fight hunger. Through a coalition of community organizations, local government, and faith communities we work to identify solutions that guide our efforts.
Washington County Kids:
Our Future. Our Community. Our Kids.
Vision Statement: All children will have the opportunity to reach their full potential
Mission Statement: To ensure access to quality out of school time programs that equip Washington County children and youth for success
We are looking at best practices and options to raise much needed funding because:
- Child Poverty is Rising: Free and Reduced Lunch (FRL) eligibility escalated from 22% of students in 2000 to 38.6% in 2017.
- The number of schools with more than 50% FRL eligible students increased from 10 to 39 schools in the same period.
- 82% of children under 5 years of age and living in poverty do not have access to affordable, quality child care.
- After school programs are not available for all who need them. Statistics show that children who are left unsupervised after school are at a higher risk of getting involved in unsafe or criminal behavior.
- Summer programs need to serve more kids; By the fifth grade, children from families with low incomes fall behind academically by as much as three years without summer support.
- Youth are not prepared for employment: approximately 6,000 Washington County youth are no longer in school and are not working due to a lack of education and skills.
- Homelessness is rising among youth: Since 2006-07 to 2017-18 the number of homeless students in Washington County has increased from 1,640 to 2,663 (62%).
Join Us! Contribute if you can. It makes a difference!
Increase awareness of the needs of our youth. 100% of your tax-deductible gift will fund these important efforts.
Volunteer if you can: Sign up using the contact us page or contact Katie Riley at email@example.com
Endorse: Provide your name and contact information and let us know (and others) that you care about the kids and want them to grow and succeed.